Wednesday, November 13, 2013

When You Only Have 100 Years to Live

100 years
Ever hear that catchy song called "100 years" by Five for Fighting? If the title doesn't sound familiar, you probably heard it and had no idea what it was called. This song is in several 90s movies and I'm sure you've all heard it at least once.

This exact song has been playing in my head every day for the past week. I have been unsuccessful at time management since I was born. I work slowly, but efficiently. I take my time, wander around in my own thoughts for a while, and then get back on task.

Thing is, all these things that I have been doing (school work, work from work, blogging, businesses, novel writing, school activities/clubs) take up so much of my time that if I procrastinate I wind up sleeping at 2 AM on a school night, waking up at 6 AM, and hating myself for the amount of tiredness I feel the whole entire day.

Strangely, just last year this routine was normal and the most efficient for me. I had realized I think more creatively and more efficiently when I am tired and it's late at night.

This year, that is not the case.

I have grown tired of this tiring routine. I no longer have as much energy as I used to. I realize I am still pretty young and this type of tiredness can only happen when someone is bad at time management and  that's me-Ms. I'll get things done even if it kills me.

Today I stopped and really thought about it. You only have a few decades to live and if you think of it that way, it's pretty scary. If you thought life was too short everyday, you would quit your job, leave school to become a freelance writer, spend the rest of your life traveling the world, and making a name for yourself one philosophical piece of advice at a time.

Then you realize you can't do any of that unless you have a job, money, and an education so you learn to manage time and make time to live out your 100+ years the way you want to.

I only have 100 years to live and the time to fix my time management issue is today.