Monday, February 24, 2014

Balancing Work & Life

 photo work-life_zps86d4bb30.jpg
Photo Credit
For me, I have always done my homework first then all my computer work (business, blog, novel, freelance writing) after. However, lately that's not the case. More and more I feel that in order to be as productive as possible I must save my homework for last and do that at 2 AM rather than my other work. Why? Because I am a blogger and then a writer which is why, why is not the question, but why not? Yes, that's the question! Why not?

Turns out neither one of those daily routines balance me as an average or productive person. If I wind up doing my homework at 2 AM, I feel upset about having to go back to school four hours later to well, come home with more homework, but if I don't do my computer work before I do my homework, I am not motivated to do any of my homework at all. See my problem yet?

There is no balance. All I do is work, homework, work, and then more homework. Where in this sequence do I just live a normal life?

Balancing your work life and your actual life is hard. Sometimes (or perhaps just in my case) you feel the need to say "Well...all this work is my life." Here's the truth. It's not. Work is part of your life, but if you aren't a healthy well-being living a life you are comfortable and content with then your work means nothing.

So how do keep work and life balanced...
ONE...Take a BREAK! Take an hour off, a day off, a week off, or even a month. Life is too short to pile up your your schedules with lots of work and no fun. I am very guilty of trying to convince myself working is fun, but we all have an adventurous side that just wants to be worry and work free.

TWO...Take another BREAK! One is probably not enough!

THREE...Make a work schedule that allows you enough room to make plans with your friends and family. This is essential to balance your work and life because you'll feel more motivated to work when you know you'll also be able to have a dinner, watch a movie, or go shopping with your loved ones.

FOUR...Get some rest. Can't balance work and life without rest!

FIVE...Start eating healthier! If you're going to survive days where you work and have a wonderful life, you need to make sure that you're eating a well-balanced diet.

Speaking of health, that Special K Challenge has been working pretty well for me. I lost four pounds in a week! Plus, I feel so much less of a slug. Bonus points for that!