Saturday, January 5, 2013

Book Review: "The Kite Runner"

For the past month I have been reading "The Kite Runner" written by Khaled Hosseini, but before I continue I want to point out that although I'm a writer, reading is not of my favorite hobbies. This one book I found hard to put down and coming from me that means this is pretty good book. I spent New Year's Eve finishing it up and it was a great way to the end the year. (Since I actually finished something for once.) 

Somewhere through all the frustration of having to read this book and trying to focus on understanding it so I may find something about it I liked, I found that almost everything in this book was likeable. The beautiful way of describing Afghanistan and it's cultures in English, how each character truly resembled the Muslim religion and Middle Eastern customs, and how the novel kept the reader wanting to read each word (even me).  

There were a few ideas in the book I did not agree with, but I loved it. It all wrapped together pretty well. My favorite part of the book was the mini-story of the one of the main character's love life. I found it to be well fitted into the book as a whole. My favorite quote of the book was "I see America has infused you with the optimism that has made her so great." 

The book even gave me a few ideas on my own novel. I think reading this book was totally worth it, I'm glad I did. 

xoxo,