Sunday, October 18, 2015

Why It's So Hard to Make Goals and Follow Through + #ShotsFromEternity

Zobia Alvi Goals Victorias Secret Kohls
Quite often I find myself questioning where I am and where I am going. And, every time it happens, it comes at a strange time and in the strangest way. Yes, goal setting is important on a continuous basis (daily, monthly, yearly; etc), but no matter how hard I try,  I can never make goals and complete them by the time I said I would.

SO yes, I make New Year's resolutions and they stay unresolved.

SO yes, I tried those 30 day Instagram post challenges and have only made it through the first 3 days.

SO yes, I have said "This semester will be different. I will not procrastinate in ANY of my classes" and end up panicking an hour before an assignment is due, hand it in on time, and tell myself I won't procrastinate on the next one, but end up doing it anyway.

NO, this does not mean that I can't make deadlines or am incapable of doing so.

I believe it has more to do with the fact that I expect too much of myself and claim that I can resolve every New Year's resolution I make while posting consecutively on Instagram according to the theme of the day, and do ALL my homework days before it's due.

REALITY kicks me in the butt all the damn time and says "yes, you can pull all it off - JUST not for long" and laughs its evil laugh while leaving a haunting "you didn't get this done and you said you would" whisper in my head that I can not turn off even if I wanted to.

You know what I mean? That feeling of knowing you said you would complete a certain goal in X amount of time and when that time comes and you aren't even close to starting it - you feel bad - you feel like you've failed - and you begin to question if you can even knock a goal off of your list.

It hurts your self-esteem and it hurts your overall well-being. The number 1 person whose always on your side (you) has at that point realized that you can't do anything (again you) and convinces you to set another goal and throw you into the horrific process again.

Sometimes I have to really sit it out for a while so I can stop myself from going through this process over and over again.

Goals are important and setting them is a great way to guide you towards what you need to do - but, they shouldn't make you think that if you don't complete them you've failed. Plus, making too many goals can realistically prevent you from focusing on what matters most to you at a given time.

So let's break it down.

Make goals and make them often, but don't make too many for a given period of time and don't beat yourself down when you can't complete them. Trust me, you're doing the best you can.

Tweet: Make goals and make them often, but don't beat yourself down when you can't complete them. You're doing the best you can. #ShotsFromEternity

So here's my list of goals I hope to complete some time from now until the end of fall, but hey if I don't get a chance to complete all of them - they'll be projects I look forward to in 2016. And I encourage you to make a loosely timed list of goals of your own as well.

  • Start and grow my e-mail list - It's pretty boring in my e-mail newsletter and I'm currently using MailChimp, but I'm heading over to ConvertKit soon! 
  • Create an awesome and FREE e-mail course - Starting a business? Starting a blog? What would you like to learn more about? Comment below!
  • Start developing my first paid e-course 
  • Host my first free webinar
  • Blog more often and consistently 
  • Make at least $250 blogging 
  • Update Little Eternities - with a fresher brand look and updated portfolio & service packages.  An awesome print and web branding package is coming along soon!

By the way,  I've started a hashtag on Instagram and Twitter - #ShotsFromEternity that ya'll can use when you are completing your goals, creating something AWESOME, or creating something that will make a difference or leave an impact. 

For example, did you finally try that pumpkin pie recipe you found on Pinterest? Take a picture and tag it #ShotsFromEternity because you accomplished something AWESOME!

OR 

Did you finally buy yourself a big girl/boy agenda in an attempt to organize yourself? TAKE a picture and tag #ShotsFromEternity. I am sure you'll plan wonderful things to come!

OR

Did your launch a business? Start a website? Write a book? ANY accomplishment big or small, tag it #ShotsFromEternity! 

I will be posting some of favorites on my blog and Instagram! :) 

Beyond that, keep making goals (but, not too many of them) and keep pushing yourself forward! Share your list of goals with me below! I'd love to know what you're working on!